Monday, September 8, 2014

Sometimes Life Gets In The Way!

Yesterday we had a death in our community.  The woman who died was one of our neighbors when I was growing up.  I remember helping her get cows back into the pasture when they'd escape and helping her pick pears (later on after I was grown she gave me pears to preserve off those same trees).  I loved to visit with her and we could talk for hours even though I was about ten or eleven years old. 

When I was grown and had a family of my own she lived across the road from me.  I remember her coming to my house when I was making hamburger patties.  She ate lunch with me and gave me the nicest compliment.  She was an excellent cook herself but she told me that hamburger was the best she'd ever eaten.  I don't know what I did differently to the burger but she enjoyed it.  Maybe it was that she didn't have to cook it herself.

Over the years I moved around to different areas of the state and we drifted apart.  I had not seen her in quite a while.  I kept saying I was going to see her but I waited too long.  So, if you have someone who means or has meant a lot to you, don't put off going to see them or at least give them a call.  Tomorrow may be too late!

We have been planning to get the collard greens bed ready for two weeks.  It's finally ready as well as the Kale/Swiss Chard bed.  Now, I hope we can still find some collard green plants.  I have seeds but we need to put in plants since it's getting later in the summer time.

Every time we thought we'd get to work on the bed it either rained or something came up and we had to go somewhere.  Or we had company (which is the nicest kind of hindrance). 


I made a lemon pound cake to carry to the children of my friend.  I have made this cake time and again without any hint of problems until today.   For some reason the cake stuck to the pan around the tube, the pan and on the bottom of the pan.  It tore all to pieces when I tried to get it out of the pan. Sooooo.....Hubby has a lemon pound cake all his own.    Disheartening is the only word I can think of to describe the experience. 

I guess that's enough rambling for today.  I need to ramble over to the love seat and fold that basket full of towels to put away.


I do appreciate you all stopping by and hope you will come back again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment