Sunday, March 7, 2010

Makeshift Garden

Today has been a gorgeous day. We had the heat off and the front door opened for most of the day. The sun was shining and it felt good to be outside.

I found an old charcoal pan that was in a smoker we had. I cleaned it out, put some gravel in the bottom then filled it with potting soil. After I got it cleaned and filled with the potting soil, I planted some lettuce mix and a few spinach seeds. A salad in a pan! I left it on the back porch where I can keep an eye on it. It will need watered and covered if the temps drop low.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to plant some more lettuce, spinach and chard in an old plastic tub. We can eat salad from our own lettuce mixes. I'm looking forward to a fresh salad.

We don't have the garden tilled yet. Every time we think we're going to be able to get it tilled the rain comes again. William and I walked through the garden yesterday afternoon checking to see if the ground is dry enough to till. It was still a little too damp but now we have rain in the forecast for the next four days. Tilling is out again for a while.

Eventually, we will get the garden tilled, the beds made and the seeds in the ground once again. This time of the year I always get antsy wanting to dig in the dirt. The time will come. It will come. Surely!

No comments:

Post a Comment