Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden Becoming Meal For Worms.

We try not to use any kind of pesticides/insecticides on our garden.  I'm being sorely tempted to hunt up something that will make the bugs and worms think twice about dining on our squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and beans. 

First, let me explain my terrible fear of worms.  Wait a minute....I can't explain that fear.  It's just there.  I'd rather someone throw a snake on me than a worm.  I know, I know it's all in my head and it probably is but I get ill if I touch a worm or a worm touches me.  

Bugs and worms have invaded the squash.  I pull a beautiful yellow squash off the vines only to find a worm devouring the bottom of the squash.  This makes me sick to my stomach. 

When squash bugs get on the squash plants, I have no problem scooping them up and sending them for a  swim in soapy water with a little oil in it.  But the worms....well I just have to step aside and let them have the garden. 

OR.....use a insecticide or pesticide.  I don't use either so I'm not even sure which one to use to get rid of the crawly things. 

Our squash vines are full of young squash.  I need to figure this one out soon or all those lovely squash will be infested with worms.

The green beans have spots on them where the worms have been eating.  So far, I haven't gotten one of those nasty things in my hands.  But, I know it's only a matter of time.

These pests aren't choosey.  I've found them in the squash, zucchini, cucumbers and have seen where they've been eating on the tomatoes and green beans.

I know my fear of worms is psychological and that I need to deal with it but I can tell you now....It ain't gonna happen.  Not if it entails me holding a worm to get over my fear.  I'd just as soon get into an airplane and fly around the world and that ain't gonna happen either.

Well, that's off my mind.  Now you all know that when it comes to worms...I'm out of my mind. 

I may have to give in to the dust that is supposed to kill everything around it including the worms.....

No comments:

Post a Comment