Friday, February 27, 2009

We're moving toward SPRING!!!!!

While everything is still in winter mode here we are moving toward spring. There is a little greening showing up in the grass/weeds, daffodils are blooming along with forsythia, and I hear more birds singing so I know spring is on it's way. Along with these signs, my fingers are getting itchier to dig in the dirt....a sure sign of spring!

I have ordered some new seeds to plant in the next week or so. Salad bowl lettuce, Swiss Chard, and spinach. I have radish seeds, turnip seeds and some mustard seeds to plant in my seed box.

I look forward to having fresh greens in my garden just outside the back door. I love going to the garden to gather a hand full of lettuce for a fresh salad. This makes a wonderful lunch.

William bought three blueberry bushes that I hope we get in the ground this weekend. David, the man who owns the nursery where we bought the bushes, told me that we should have blueberries this summer. Probably not a lot but it's exciting to think of picking fresh blueberries from our own trees.

Next, I am looking for blackberry canes to set out. Not the thornless berries but the old timey kind that i used to help pick when I was younger. OUCH....I remember how scratched my arms would be but the berries were well worth the scratches.

I would like to have a couple of crab apple trees added to our property too. This type of apple makes a most wonderful jelly. I think this will wait until autumn of 2009. Add some strawberry plants to the three other fruits/berries and we will be set for jellies and jams made in our own kitchen.

I am trying to get William to increase our garden space by adding some space in the front where we can plant corn, peas and beans. It would be nice to have enough beans that we could allow some seeds to dry to use for the next garden but also for eating this winter.

Yes, I can tell spring is on the way. I have gardening fever and it is getting worse everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment