Thursday, February 12, 2009

Planning a food pantry

Hubby has promised me a good sized pantry soon. I am planning to fill this pantry with home canned food from our garden, canned meats from our animals and supplies from the grocery store.


When I grocery shop at the end of February, I intend to buy some canned goods and baking goods to go into the pantry. If I buy any canned corns, tomatoes or peas I will buy an extra can for each can that I purchase for our March menu. The extras will be stored. Extra flour will be purchased for baking bread and I will throw in several bags of rice.


Along with food items I will purchase extra soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, bathroom tissue, laundry detergent and dishwashing detergent to have on hand.


It may take a couple of months to get well stocked from the grocery store and then I will start with our homegrown foods.


Friends have given me many canning jars so all I need are lids and possibly rings. I will need to check these out before I begin to buy the lids for canning.


By the end of summer I hope that I have enough food canned, frozen and store bought to last at least two years.


Then my family will be ready for whatever comes as far as the economy goes.


That's my plan and I'm sticking to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment